[Dovecot] Pigeonhole vacation auto-response not respecting "days" parameter

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Thu Jul 11 17:37:54 EEST 2013

This might be a PEBKAC on my end, but in our old server, "vacation"
because we had ":days 1" in the rule.

On the new server, even though we have ":days 1", pigeonhole is sending
each day back to each origin address.

The following was generated by Roundcube's web interface, it looks to be
correct.

{
         vacation :days 1 :addresses
["email1 at example.com","email2 at example.com"] :subject "Out of office
reply" text:
I am currently out of the office July 11th and 12th, returning on July 15th.

During this time I will have no access to email.

Thank you.

User So-And-So
.
;
}

-----------------------

Interestingly, if I look at .dovecot.sieve.log, I see error messages
like (except that the vacation responses are, in reality, being sent):

error: msgid=<20130711134816.35B9A40335 at mail.example.com>: failed to
send vacation response to <originemail at example.com> (refer to server log
for more information).

And in the maillog:

Jul 11 09:48:17 servername sendmail[28244]: r6BDmHem028244:
SYSERR(UID1132): Who are you?
Jul 11 09:48:17 servername  sendmail[28244]: r6BDmHem028244:
Authentication-Warning: servername .example.com: Unknown UID 1132 set
sender to <> using -f
Jul 11 09:48:17 servername sendmail[28244]: r6BDmHem028244: from=<>,
size=725, class=-60, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<dovecot-sieve-1373550497-202242-0 at servername.example.com>,
relay=Unknown UID 1132 at localhost

My guess at this point is that I've failed to configure pigeonhole
and/or postfix's copy of the sendmail command properly so that it can
create the "who I have send mail to recently" file.