[Dovecot] 2.2.4 - quota-status changing the user it is running as

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Mon Jul 15 17:06:45 EEST 2013

Le 14 juil. 2013 à 18:54, Axel Luttgens a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Is this the expected behavior, to have quota-status switch to another user?

I should have added: "And to have it indefinitely running as that user?".

Notwithstanding the permission problems that come with that behavior (see my previous post), this doesn't seem to be fully right for a service intended to be a policy server for Postfix.

For example, let's consider the case of separate uid (or even uid/gid) for mail users.
Suppose that the initial connection to quota-status happens for checking quota of user with uid 10001; if quota-status is configured to start as root, we know it will switch to user 10001 and stay running under that uid.
Later, a query comes from Postfix for the quota of user with uid 100002.
Unless quota-status hasn't fully dropped its root privileges but has just switched to user 10001 while still having the capability to switch to user 10002, I guess there could be a problem...

How exactly is quota-status supposed to behave in such a case?

TIA,
Axel