[Dovecot] Difference between using auth_realms and setting up virtual mailboxes in postfix?

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Tue Jul 16 15:40:18 EEST 2013

Le 12 juil. 2013 à 21:32, Gab IIpop a écrit :

> Hi, there is a possibility in the future that I might have to support
> multiple domain names(but using the same IP address). Postfix has something
> called 'virtual mailboxes' to help handle this.

Hello Gab,

Let's suppose you have a simple Postfix/Dovecot server and two domains.

With Postfix, this is basically handled by telling it that emails for recipients in those domains are to be delivered thru Dovecot's lda or lmtp.

On the Dovecot side, it is essentially a matter of having a mapping address->mailbox, so that lda or lmtp know where/how to store emails.

> But I also noticed that dovecot has a setting "auth_realms" where I can
> specify domains separated by a space.
>
> What is the relationship between the two?

Very distant...
Such realms may be used by some authentication mechanisms, and their names, even if often looking like domain names, may be quite arbitrary.

HTH,
Axel