[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.2.4 does not create home directory?

Rob Sterenborg (lists) lists at sterenborg.info
Wed Jul 17 17:35:21 EEST 2013

On 17-07-13 16:11, Dmitry . wrote:

Isn't the log actually saying what's wrong here?
(I didn't see a file listing that shows what owner/permissions are set.)

> Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(Maildir) in directory
> /var/run/dovecot failed: Permission denied (euid=1202(dovecot)
> egid=202(dovecot) missing +w perm: /var/run/dovecot, dir owned by 0:0
> mode=0755)
> Jul 17 12:49:41 imap(test at example.com): Error: Invalid user settings. Refer
> to server log for more information.

The log says:

- mkdir(Maildir) in directory /var/run/dovecot failed: Permission denied
   Dovecot couldn't create a directory in /var/run/dovecot. Personally,
   I would not want to create mail directories there, but if you're okay
   with it then I'm okay too.

- (euid=1202(dovecot) egid=202(dovecot)
   Dovecot is running as dovecot:dovecot (1202:202).

- missing +w perm: /var/run/dovecot, dir owned by 0:0 mode=0755)
   The base directory is owned by root:root with 755 permissions, so
   dovecot has no permission to write anything.

I'd choose another place where your mail directories are created and
have the correct owner/permissions set.

--
Rob