[Dovecot] Password encryption type for dovecot & postfix saslauthd with mysql

Simon greminn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 03:40:50 EEST 2013

Hi There,

We are using dovecot v2.2.4 (compiled from source) and postfix (yum install) on Centos 6.4. We are storing our virtual user config in mysql.

Server 1 has dovecot/postfix and accepts incoming mail from our mail filter servers - this is purely for IMAP/POP services. Server 2 has postfix for our clients to send email via TLS/saslauthd. Both use the same (separate) mysql server for config. One issue is that we have a requirement to merge user / passwords for sending clients from two sources: 1) the dovecot mailbox list  2). another list. The dovecot user list is email + password. The other list is username + password. To that end we have created a view table in mysql that merges the two.. tables + view look a little like this:

table: mail_users (for dovecot)

email,password
test at test1.com,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
test2 at test1.com,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
bla at bla.com,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD

table: mail_senders_other

username,password
username1,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
something_else,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD

username,password
test at test1.com,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
test2 at test1.com,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
bla at bla.com,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
username1,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD
something_else,CRAM-MD5_PASSWORD

I have dovecot working fine, but just need a little push in the correct direction (please) to figure out the correct settings and password encryption scheme to make the above work.

Many thanks!

Simon