[Dovecot] performance 2.1.17 zlib maildir

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Jul 22 15:23:02 EEST 2013

Am 22.07.2013 13:50, schrieb Ralf Hildebrandt:
> * Robert Schetterer <rs at sys4.de>:
>> Am 20.07.2013 20:30, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>>> Hi Timo, i have reports from few users about lost performance with 2.17
>>> maildir bigger mailboxes ( up to 2 GB ), i also use zlib plugin
>>>
>>> what about this patch.....,may not working as i should?
>>>
>>> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/rev/9c23d1fb8969
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>>

>> i checked this reverting to 2.1.15 (had only this pre compiled)
>> perfomance gets better with this, looks like the problem is getting more
>> worst with having bigger mailboxes and heavy use of subfolder trees
>> any idea?
>
> I wonder why this would matter. zlib is compressing EACH message
> individually, so the actual SIZE of the mailbox would not matter (the
> number of message would matter, though).
>
> Which operations are slow? Folder listing? Actually accessing messages?

accessing , list messsages , copy, move delete operations

it must not be zlib related, that was a guess
there are two other patches only maildir related might be a better guess

http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/rev/7389ff729d2e
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/rev/4c05b9447a10

other patches dont look related to me, however i use a lot of other
plugins which might also involved

sorry not easy to measure , but performance here is def better with
2.1.15 , same client setup, no special failures about that in debug logs

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG