[Dovecot] Dovecot never release preallocated space in mdbox

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Mon Jul 29 15:06:05 EEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:48:00AM +0200, Stéphane BERTHELOT wrote:

> mdbox_rotate_size = 128M
> mdbox_rotate_interval = 1d
> mdbox_preallocate_space = yes

> On mailboxes patterns with low incoming mail (< 100kb / day) this
> would waste much space. Of course I can decrease rotate size a lot
> but it would then produce a lot of files and would certainly become
> similar performance-wise to sdbox/maildir/...

128MB is quite a large rotate size if you care about disk space.. We use
the default 2 MB, which still packs quite a lot of messages per file
compared to maildir. Single maildir-files seems to be around 5-30KB
(compressed), which should amount to 50-400 messages per m-file. I don't
think that should be similar to maildir/sdbox performance-wise.

   -jf