[Dovecot] Postfix aliases with quota-status service

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Tue Jul 30 16:20:47 EEST 2013

The latest HG commits seem to have fixed some underlying problems with the 'quota-status' service. Now doing some quick tests I wonder if this can be used with aliases on the Postfix side. Appears the 'check_policy_service' used in the example below will query existing users via Dovecot's Auth Backend:

http://sys4.de/en/blog/2013/04/05/dovecot-quota-mit-postfix-abfragen/

This works fine for Dovecot user 'philo' where the mail is rejected upfront before it enters the queue:

==> /var/log/mail.log <==
Jul 30 13:41:18 spectre postfix/smtpd[31072]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from host.example.com[1.2.3.4]: 554 5.2.2 <philo at trashheap.net>: Recipient address rejected: Quota exceeded (mailbox for use
r is full); from=<user at example.com> to=<philo at trashheap.net> proto=ESMTP helo=<host.example.com>

Now user 'gunge' is an alias for 'philo' in Postfix, thus the quota check will not recognize the user, will queue the message and reject it at the MDA stage:

==> /var/log/mail.log <==

This is probably intended behaviour, just want to make sure that I'm not missing a point here. For now the only fix that comes to my mind to create "quota aware" aliases - is creating 'dummy' users in Dovecot which point to the same mailbox rather than performing aliasing on the Postfix end. Open to suggestions...

Regards
Thomas