[Dovecot] Dovecot and time (again)

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Jun 5 17:02:43 EEST 2013

I'm rehashing/reliving my issues from 2010:
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-October/053528.html

In short, when calling deliver from vdelivermail (or procmail), and
delivering via NFS to Maildir, the timestamp on the file is GMT.  If
procmail or vdelivermail completely handle the email, the timestamp is CST.
The server is set to CST.

What's changed from the original issue?
Previously was running dovecot 1.x on FreeBSD, now 2.1.7 on Debian 7.   I
know it's a few versions behind, but this is a deliver only server, and
ChangeLog doesn't show too many fixes for lda.
Of course, running the command from the command line works perfectly... So
where could my problem reside?
Two examples:

1st via Calling from procmail:
:0
* ? test -f /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda
{
:0w
|/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $EXT@$HOST
}

-rw-------    1 vpopmail  vchkpw  87196 Jun  5 13:43
1370439849.M812P29560.smtp101,S=87196,W=88094

2nd via Commandline:
#sudo -u vpopmail cat /tmp/testmail.txt | /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d
rick at havokmon.com

-rw-------    1 vpopmail  vchkpw  27740 Jun  5 08:46
1370440001.M421646P29846.smtp101,S=27740,W=28243

I've thrown the TZ variable in the mix as well with no resolution
|/usr/bin/env -i TZ=CST /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $EXT@$HOST
|/usr/bin/env -i TZ=America/Chicago /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $EXT@$HOST

I've also set import_environment = TZ , but it doesn't seem to show in
dovecot -n ...

Any other thoughts?

Side note - deliver behavior has changed since 1.x.  I used to be able to
specifiy the HOME directory, but now deliver requires the -d parameter, so
I've had to setup an Auth server where I didn't have to in the past.

Am I the only one who doesn't run my servers in GMT?  I seem to only find
my own posts when searching on this :)

Rick