[Dovecot] Wait for interface to become available instead of dying?

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 10:24:45 EEST 2013

On 11/06/13 08:18, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 11.06.2013 09:00, schrieb Sebastian Arcus:
>> At the moment, if one of the interfaces specified with "listen=" in
>> dovecot.conf is not up when Dovecot is started,
>> then Dovecot just refuses to start. Is there an option to make Dovecot
>> start anyway, and just use the interface
>> when it becomes available? It is inconvenient to have Dovecot refuse to
>> start during boot because some interface is
>> temporarily not available.
>
> try write some wrapper to the dovecot start script , checking your
> interfaces and perhaps echo some stuff in dovecot.conf, or simply use -c
> option for starting another dovecot.conf
> but i would not recommand this practises

Thanks Robert. That's an interesting idea. It probably isn't really
worth the hassle as the whole issue is not quite that important. I was
merely wondering if there is a configuration option for Dovecot to
ignore missing interfaces.

Maybe coming from the other direction of the spectrum might also be a
good idea - something like a "nolisten" option - to prevent it from
listening on certain interfaces. That's the main reason I use the
"listen" option - to prevent Dovecot from ever listening on certain
interfaces, as an extra layer of protection in case the firewall ever
gets misconfigured.