[Dovecot] CATENATE/literal8 issue

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 13 06:28:03 EEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 09:38 -0600, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at curecanti.org>:
>
> > Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
> >
> >> Anyway .. the BINARY APPEND converts only the MIME parts that you
> >> send with "Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary". Are you sending such
> >> header to Dovecot?
>
> I can verify this isn't working as you described above:
>
> 1 APPEND "INBOX" CATENATE (TEXT {49+}
> 1 NO [UNKNOWN-CTE] Binary input allowed only when the first part is binary.

What do you do then if server advertises CATENATE but not BINARY?

Anyway for the other possibilities Dovecot could:

a) Put all CATENATEd messages through the istream-binary-converter, but
just not do any actual C-T-E:binary conversion until the first ~{binary}
part is found.

b) Just treat ~{n} exactly the same as ~{n}, unless it's the first part
of CATENATE.

Maybe this should be aked about in IMAP mailing list .. (Didn't I
already ask something about CATENATE+BINARY combination?)