[Dovecot] dovecot corrupted transaction log

John Fawcett john.ml at erba.tv
Thu Jun 13 09:50:24 EEST 2013

On 13/06/13 04:31, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 00:34 +0200, John Fawcett wrote:
>> Hi I came across this error which happend immedately after a mail
>> delivery to the inbox. Should I look for the problem externally to
>> dovecot (ie. file system, operating system) or within dovecot? I never
>> saw this error before installing 2.2.1, with 2.2.2 I seemed to get even
>> more of them so currently back on 2.2.1
>>
>> Jun 11 00:00:05 rosalia dovecot: imap(myemail at mydomain): Error:
>> Corrupted transaction log file
>> /var/vmail/mydomain/myemail at mydomain/dovecot.index.log seq 311: file
>> size shrank (1184 < 1304) (sync_offset=1304)
> Are you using NFS or some other cluster filesystem with multiple
> servers? If yes, see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/NFS. If not, show doveconf
> -n and describe the setup more.

TImo

thanks for your response. There is no NFS involved. The file system
seems to  be reiserfs (as reported by df -T) thogh I wonder why
fsck reports it would use fsck.ext2 (which I did not run).

It is a single server vpn container hosting a few sites and
low volume mail service. The operating system is centos 6.4

The setup is with postfix, amavisd and dovecot using sieve. Dovecot and
sieve are built from source

Clients are roundcube and usual mail clients mainly thunderbird.

I cannot link the errors to anything specific, except that they started
happening 5 minutes after upgrade to 2.2.1 from 2.1.5. The error happens on
multiple mailboxes. I never saw the error prior to that, looking at logs
back to
version 2.1.7.

Below is the dovecot -n output

Thanks
John

dovecot -n
# 2.2.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-028stab092.1 x86_64 CentOS release 6.4 (Final)
auth_mechanisms = plain login
dict {
  expire = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
  quota = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
}
first_valid_uid = 200
listen = 80.237.194.64
mail_plugins = quota expire
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  expire = Trash
  expire2 = Trash/*
  expire3 = Spam
  expire4 = Postmaster
  expire_dict = proxy::expire
  fts = squat
  fts_squat = partial=4 full=10
  quota = dict:User quota::proxy::quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
  sieve = ~/sieve/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth-worker {
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = mail
    mode = 0660
  }
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    group = mail
    mode = 0660
  }
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/extcerts/mail.erba.tv.dovecot-bundle.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/extcerts/mail.erba.tv.dovecot.nopass.key
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = quota expire sieve
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = quota expire sieve
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = quota expire imap_quota fts fts_squat
}