[Dovecot] Allowing clients to test their Sieve scripts

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Fri Jun 14 21:07:45 EEST 2013

At  9AM -0700 on 14/06/13 you (Frerich Raabe) wrote:

> One thing which came up repeatedly is that clients using the IMAP
> server I run (using Dovecot 2.1) wonder whether they broke their Sieve
> scripts, i.e. it often goes like "I don't know whether I just didn't
> receive any mail, or whether my filters broke. Can you check the
> logs?".
>
> I then usually just run the sieve-test binary (part of the Pigeonhole
> distribution) and send them the output. However, I was wondering - is
> there maybe a way for them to try it themselves? Like, maybe a tiny
> web server which just prints a form asking for a mail file and a sieve
> script, and then it runs sieve-script and prints the output of that? I
> wonder how other people do that.

Simply providing some way for them to read the .dovecot.sieve.log file
created in their home directory would be a good start. If there are any
problems with delivery they will be logged there. You could set up some
sort of web access, or even have a daily cronjob to mail the file to the
user if it isn't empty.

Ben