[Dovecot] Allowing clients to test their Sieve scripts

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Sat Jun 15 00:21:53 EEST 2013

On 6/14/2013 4:57 PM, Ben Morrow wrote:
> At 10PM +0300 on 14/06/13 you (Timo Sirainen) wrote:
>> On 14.6.2013, at 22.22, Ben Johnson <ben at indietorrent.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The complexities associated with authentication will be the most
>>> difficult part (at least if you want to build something reusable).
>>
>> Dovecot has a pretty easily usable auth server that talks pretty
>> simple authentication protocol, and can be also configured to be
>> available via TCP. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Design/AuthProtocol
>
> See also the Perl module Authen::SASL::Authd, which will authenticate
> against dovecot-auth (only with PLAIN, unfortunately, but unless you're
> willing to put in a lot of effort most forms of web auth come out
> equivalent to PLAIN).
>
> Ben

Thanks Timo and Ben for the authentication suggestions. I'll look into
those further. It seems clear that whatever method is used, it has to
transmit the user's credentials securely. Plaintext authentication is
not an option in my environment.

In the meantime, here's a very rough-cut of a PHP script that accepts a
Sieve script and an email body, and prints-out the "sieve-test" results.

http://pastebin.com/7mHL2w0z

This works fine on my server. Next week, I'll add authentication.

Would love to know if this works for you, too, Frerich.

Have a nice weekend,

-Ben