[Dovecot] v2.2.3 released / xi.rename-it.nl dovecot-2.2.patched

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Jun 17 12:13:24 EEST 2013

Op 6/17/2013 9:58 AM, Robert Schetterer schreef:
> Am 16.06.2013 23:41, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>> http://dovecot.org/releases/2.2/dovecot-2.2.3.tar.gz
>> http://dovecot.org/releases/2.2/dovecot-2.2.3.tar.gz.sig
>>
>> This is a pretty important upgrade for v2.2 users, because of the IMAP
>> ENVELOPE reply fix.
>>
>> 	* LDA/LMTP: If new mail delivery first fails with "temporary
>> 	  failure", tempfail the whole delivery instead of falling back to
>> 	  delivering the mail to INBOX. (Requires new Pigeonhole as well.)
>> 	* doc/solr-schema.xml was updated to Solr v4.x format. Also the
>> 	  default analyzers were changed, hopefully for the better. Note that
>> 	  the schema can't be changed for existing Solr indexes without
>> 	  rebuilding everything.
>> 	* Solr plugin does only soft commits from now on. You'll need a
>> 	  cronjob to send a hard commit command to it every few minutes.
>>
>> 	+ Added %N modifier for variables as %H-like "new hash"
>> 	+ sdbox, mdbox: Support POP3 message order field (for migrations)
>> 	+ Added mailbox { driver } to specify a different mail storage
>> 	  format for the mailbox than generally used within the namespace.
>> 	+ Added initial lib-sasl library for client side SASL support.
>> 	  Currently supports only PLAIN, LOGIN and plugins. Used currently
>> 	  by IMAP and POP3 proxying when authenticating to the remote server.
>> 	- IMAP: If subject contained only whitespace, Dovecot returned an
>> 	  ENVELOPE reply with a huge literal value, effectively causing the
>> 	  IMAP client to wait for more data forever.
>> 	- IMAP: Various URLAUTH fixes.
>> 	- imapc: Various bugfixes and improvements
>> 	- pop3c: Various fixes to make it work in dsync (without imapc)
>> 	- dsync: Fixes to syncing subscriptions. Fixes to syncing mailbox
>> 	  renames.
>>

> i have a few questions
>
> i just setted up a test server for dovecot and other stuff
> and used
>
> http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/pool/testing-auto/dovecot-2.2.patched/
>
> but i am not really sure whats the exact meaning of "patched" here

While the Xi repositories are meant for testing to begin with, the
.patched repositories are probably even more volatile as these include
my personal patches against Dovecot (in this case
http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.2-patches/file/tip). I deliberately do
not refer to these repositories in the wiki documentation, as these
don't have 'vanilla' Dovecot packages. So, don't use these if you're
looking for the latest official (yet unreleased) Dovecot revision.

> also is there more docs on
>
> "lib-sasl library for client side SASL support."

Before, code for doing client side (PLAIN) SASL login (e.g. for imapc)
was spread and duplicated at multiple locations in Dovecot code. This
change puts it at a single spot and makes it easily extensible with
support for new mechanisms.

> and lemonade submission stuff

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5550#section-8

This was discussed a while ago on the mailing list:

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2013-May/090288.html

The submission patch adds an example configuration, although I haven't
updated that in a while. It is also possible that the submission server
is not in a usable state right now.

>   ( perhaps this is what patched means )

Yes. If I am working on some new Dovecot feature, it's included in this
repository.

> is there some lemonade client for testing

Trojita supports URLAUTH/BURL. There is no telnet procedure described
that I know of anywhere, but you should be able to digest what you need
from the relevant RFCs and the examples therein:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501 (IMAP)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4467 (URLAUTH)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321 (SMTP)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4954 (SMTP AUTH)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4467 (BURL)

It basically boils down to: login to IMAP (port 143), APPEND a message
to one of your mailboxes, generate an URLAUTH for it using the
GENURLAUTH command, login to SMTP submission (port 587), issue MAIL
FROM: and RCPT TO: commands and finally send the message using the BURL
command with the URLAUTH generated from IMAP.

Regards,

Stephan.