[Dovecot] Warning recipient when message delivery fails due to over-quota

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Mon Jun 24 22:32:34 EEST 2013

On 6/24/2013 2:21 PM, Ken A wrote:
> You can give some additional space = the max message size allowed in
> your email system, like in the example:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Configuration#line-1-5
> (change Trash to Inbox). Then the message would be accepted, and the
> user would get the normal 100% notice.
>
> Ken

Thank you for the quick reply, Ken.

What you describe sounds like it would work for my purposes. (Although,
it would be nice to see quota warnings for "would" [instead of "did"]
scenarios implemented.)

I added quota_rule4 to my plugin {} stanza:

plugin {
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
  quota_rule3 = Junk:ignore
  quota_rule4 = Inbox:storage=+100M
}

I then restarted Dovecot.

My test user's quota is at 94% of 3MB before I attempt to send a message
with a 206KB attachment.

When I send the test message that should, in theory, put my test user
over-quota, but well within the additional 100M that quota_rule4 grants,
the message is still rejected outright. Here is the debug output that I
captured:

http://pastebin.com/75byrwC7

In particular, the following line seems to imply that this rule should
be effective:

dovecot: lda(user at example.com): Debug: Quota rule: root=user
mailbox=Inbox bytes=+104857600 messages=0

Any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

My "doveconf -n" output:

http://pastebin.com/eZcmEWYA

Thanks again for your help,

-Ben