[Dovecot] auth probes without IP - "Initial status notification not received ..."

LEVAI Daniel leva at ecentrum.hu
Tue Jun 25 00:01:34 EEST 2013

On h, jún 24, 2013 at 23:53:36 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 17.6.2013, at 11.00, LEVAI Daniel <leva at ecentrum.hu> wrote:
>
> > I've been getting a bunch of these messages lately in my logs:
> >
> > dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): Initial status notification not received in 30 seconds, killing the process
> > dovecot: auth: Fatal: master: service(auth): child 11016 killed with signal 9
> > dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): Initial status notification not received in 30 seconds, killing the process
> > dovecot: auth: Fatal: master: service(auth): child 27660 killed with signal 9
> >
> > # fgrep -c -e "master: Error: service(auth): Initial status" dovecot.log*
> > [...]
> > dovecot.log.1:501
> > dovecot.log.2:250
> > [...]
> >
> > But I can not link these auth probes to any IP addresses within the
> > dovecot log files. This is dovecot-2.2.2 on OpenBSD-stable.
>
> It looks like the auth processes are actually hanging at startup.
> Normally they'll finish send the notification immediately after they
> start up, but for some reason that's not happening here.. Or
> alternatively something else very weird is going on.

Okay :))

> Does Dovecot usually work? Maybe the status signalation via pipes
> isn't working correctly. Then I'd think it would be logging it for all
> processes, not just auth processes.

Dovecot always works. Really. It is not a big setup, just a bunch of
addresses with maildirs, and not too needy end-users :)
As I did not get any inquiries about login errors, I didn't even notice
these until the semi-regular error log inspections. And to be honest,
there were no recurrences since those two days (logs are daily rotated).

Thanks for the feedback :)

Daniel

--
LÉVAI Dániel