[Dovecot] namespace delivery question

Laszlo Kiraly l.kiraly at madalbal.hu
Thu Jun 27 15:20:48 EEST 2013

Hi list,

I like to have public mailboxes in addition to other private in the same
domain, and manage the public mailbox permissions through acls.

For example:

info at domain.com <- public, readable by user2
user1 at domain.com <- private
user2 at domain.com <- private

The mailboxes are virtual, authentication through pam (kerberos).
The public mailbox doesn't have valid kerberos account.

My smtp server is exim 4.80. I set the mail delivery to lmtp.

I couldn't find solution in the documentation, how can I manage the email
delivery to the public namespace?

There is a -m option in the lda delivery where you can give namespace prefix.
Maybe it's good for this, but I couldn't find any information how can I do
this with lmtp?

my dovecot config:

test:~# dovecot -n
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.0.0-1-686-pae i686 Debian squeeze/sid
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
namespace {
  location = sdbox:/home/vmail/public/%u
  prefix = public.
  separator = .
  subscriptions = no
  type = public
}
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location = sdbox:/home/vmail/private/%n
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Spam {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = .
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile
  sieve = /home/vmail/%n/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = /home/vmail/%n
  sieve_global_dir = /home/vmail/sieve
}
protocols = " imap lmtp sieve"
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
  service_count = 1
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  args = uid=1035 gid=8 home=/home/vmail/%Lu allow_all_users=yes
  driver = static
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = " sieve"
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " sieve"
}
protocol sieve {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 10
  managesieve_implementation_string = Dovecot Pigeonhole
  managesieve_logout_format = bytes=%i/%o
  managesieve_max_line_length = 65536
}

Best regards: László Király