[Dovecot] [OCLUG] [Users] I need help with my mail client [Was: running cron on UTC]

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Mon Mar 4 23:15:38 EET 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> It's doubtful that the OCLUG's defaulting replies to
> "list" (characterized by some as "munging") is the root cause here,
> because probably 90% of the mailing lists I'm on default replies to the
> list, and this symptom happens only with OCLUG's list.

It would probably go away if we changed the mailman.oclug.org CNAME
into an A record.  When sendmail receives an email to a domain it's
authoritative for (mailman.oclug.org) and it determines that the
domain is a CNAME, internally it switches to calling it the A record
that it points to, which in this case is penguin.oclug.org.  This is
why some places have penguin dot and others have mailman dot.

It seems that your MUA is being extremely clever and detecting the
different addresses, noticing that they are different, and deciding to
send it to both of them.  It also reminds me very much of mutt with
its Reply versus Reply-All versus List-Reply capabilities, in that
Claws is trying to read your mind and figure out what you want instead
of just following the email (i.e. Reply-To is explicitly set, which
munges anything else for most other clients).

...Todd