[Dovecot] Limiting size of stored emails

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Mar 13 11:06:26 EET 2013

On 3/13/2013 3:38 AM, Patrick Joy wrote:
> On 13/03/13 16:28, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 3/12/2013 11:30 PM, Patrick Joy wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply.
>>>
>>> I have been putting off an upgrade as I need to upgrade the complete OS
>>> which is not a trivial task unfortunately but is inevitable.
>> Debian is designed for rolling upgrades, thus Ubuntu should be as well.
>>   They're painless on Debian so I would assume the same for Ubuntu.
>> Which begs the question:  why have not been doing rolling upgrades given
>> your platform is specifically designed for such a model?
> My provider has me over a barrel on this one. My server is a large VPS
> and the provider is running an old kernel that isn't supported by the
> latest versions of Ubuntu/Debian. To upgrade I need to move to a
> different platform which costs more and will involve moving everything.

> The move needs to happen I'm just procrastinating.

This is a classic example of why it's almost always better to own your
own box and colocate it, especially if you have paying customers.  Yes,
it costs more, but having full control of the system is worth the added
rent.  And for a 1U chassis it's actually pretty cheap to colo at many
facilities.  The problem is finding one within sane driving distance
with low prices.

>>> I may need to setup a nightly cron job to check for files bigger than
>>> xmb in the mail store for now.
>> Probably a good idea.  As well as educating the user who attached a 4GB
>> file.  That's just plain nuts and smacks of ignorance.  Honestly I'm
>> surprised Outlook didn't crash when attaching such a file.
> It's always hard to educate them when they are paying customers but I
> will try.

Your problem here is lack of a TOS agreement.  If you're providing a
paid service you should already have one.  In that TOS you spell out
what is/not allowed or supported by your service, such as 4GB attachments.

--
Stan