[Dovecot] Dovecot with sasl/imaps/postfix and thunderbird

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Mar 13 15:01:18 EET 2013

On 03/13/2013 01:51 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 3/13/2013 12:00 AM, Alex wrote:

> I just verified that TB (17.0.4) won't do STARTTLS on TCP 143 without
> first accepting the self signed cert.
>
>> I'm really hoping someone can help me to clarify more specifically
>> what's going on here.
>
> You've already clarified it.  You simply can't do account auto
> configuration with a self signed cert, at least not with a vanilla TB
> setup.  The only possible solution I can think of would be to preload
> the user profile with the certificate.  I don't know how you'd do this.
>  I think you have some research ahead of you.

It's relatively easy.  On first starting TB with no account, cancel the
wizard.  The use "Edit" -> "Preferences" or "≡" -> "Options..." ->
"Options..." to get to TB's configuration pages.  There, use "Advanced"
-> "Certificates" -> "View Certificates" -> "Servers" and finally
"Import..."

After you've imported the needed cert, you can re-open the wizard with
"Create new account".

You can also use this method to import a self-signed certificate
authority if you want to run your own signing operation.

Phil