[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Mar 17 16:13:23 EET 2013

On 3/17/2013 5:25 AM, Professa Dementia wrote:

> We are very sorry you are not satisfied with the software.  Please feel
> free to return the software for a full refund of all the money you paid.

You do not speak on behalf of Dovecot, Timo, this list, and certainly
not for me.  Do not use "we" in this manner.  And there's no reason to
be a smart ass.

> Welcome to the world of open source.  Software is provided through the
> generous contributions of many people, all of whom have regular jobs and
> do this because they enjoy it.  With open source, if there is something
> you do not like, you can change the software to your liking.  Try that
> with proprietary software.

The OP is fully familiar with the open source model.  Being open source
and developed by volunteer effort is NEVER an excuse for crappy software
or documentation.  The OP has every right, and *duty* to voice his
opinion, whether it be praise or critique.  Without critique software
doesn't get improved.

I absolutely agree with him.  While the split config setup may make
sense to a developer, and it may work better with some automated tools,
it is counter intuitive for the majority of UNIX users.  It should have
been made optional, not the default.  Doing this was pretty stupid and
will confuse, possibly infuriate, new users, as in this case, and likely
some of those upgrading as well.  Things like this, as well as
lackluster documentation, tend to retard adoption, or worse, drive
current users to competing solutions.

> And just a friendly word of advice: change your attitude or you will
> find your cries fall on deaf ears.

The OP's attitude is fine.  It is yours that is the problem.  Dissent
and critique should be cherished, not attacked.  We're not a bunch of
little Fascists walking in lock step under de Fuhrer Timo, so stop
acting like one.

--
Stan