[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Mar 17 19:51:16 EET 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:11:18 +0000
Daniel articulated:

> First of all the wiki articles on dovecots site are poorly written
> compared to apache and postfix. That is what I mean by lack luster
> the error logging is lack luster as it doesn't specify the file or
> the line error is on like many very well supported applications like
> apache and postfix and that makes dovecot not very user friendly. I
> owe no one an apology for stating my opinion and I have over 10 years
> of using open source software and dovecot is the application that I
> have used that given me such headache and grief to the point I have
> given up on this learning experience.

First of all, I don't think any sane person would argue that the
Dovecot documentation is in a league with Postfix or even Apache.
For that matter, I know of no other open source software that has
documentation as detailed as Postfix. Try deciphering the OpenSSL
documentation sometime. However, I think it is obvious that the poster
was simply "venting" his frustrations out on a convenient audience.

The logging could be "tightened" up and the documentation does need
work. With that said, I think we can put this matter to bed. Nothing is
going to come from it so why waste time arguing over it.

--
Jerry ♔