[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Mar 18 01:45:54 EET 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 10:20 +0000, Daniel Reinhardt wrote:

> I really find the lack of error logging, and the virtual lack of
> documentation for Dovecot very disturbing.  I am so close to dropping this
> side project of being able to support multiple domains on a mail server.

I know I came in late having been away for a bit, but I did not note any
reference to this guide you mentioned you used, perhaps
show us a URL for it, maybe it is borked, and you'll chase your tail
forever...

>  It is in my utmost respectful opinion to have multiple files to edit just
> to get this working in basic mode.  Why cant dovecot combine all
> configuration parameters into one config like that of postfix main.cf for
> server config, and the master.cf for sockets and listeners?

It used to, I strongly disagreed with the conf.d/blah blah blah
splitting, its messy, cluttery, clumsy,  and not time-management
efficient, but, Timo's choice to do it.

I use one single file, its about or less than 4K in size, and you can
too, simple copy any million changes of other cruddy  confs into
dovecot.conf and comment out any includes, even delete them.

The only separate file I have, is dovecot-sql.conf

> Dovecot has given me nothing but headache and grief, and as far as I am
> concerned not a finished product.

it runs on some pretty big networks, handling millions of users, granted
2.x was, well, I always considered 2.0 to be beta, and 2.1 up until
recently, it is not a good sign when there is patches every second other
week, but, its been really good for a few months now,
sad I know, 1.2 was like a tank, couldn't break it no mater what you
through at it, infact I still have two servers using 1.2 as a fail safe.

But, that said, you need to show us this guide you have followed, if you
posted it, my bad for not seeing it, if not, your bad for not linking to
it ;)