[Dovecot] Question regarding Postfix and Dovecot

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Mar 18 10:03:17 EET 2013

Am 18.03.2013 01:02, schrieb Larry Stone:

> On Mar 17, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Robert Schetterer <rs at sys4.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 17.03.2013 21:12, schrieb Larry Stone:
>>> Giving complex answers to simple questions creates the impression that the Dovecot is far more complex than it needs to be.
>>
>> "mail" isnt simple in general,
>
> True. But your needs aren't my needs. And while some systems may need a complex solution, not every one does.
>
> My mail server is at home serving four users, all family members. Daily mail volume is in the hundreds. Have I incorporated every high-performance trick I can? Heck, no because I don't need it. My server sits idle most of the day. It would be a waste of my time to optimize it. To the extent I have a bottle-neck, it's the Internet connection (not all that fast but fast enough).
>
> So for now I keep it simple. Can I do something more complex later? Maybe. If I have time, if I think it's worthwhile. Meanwhile, I would never go suggesting that the server environment I have with my four users and hundreds of messages per day is appropriate for an environment with thousands of users and millions of messages per day.

Larry , this isnt a whatever software related question, it a questions
of what default first setup settings are choosen, to make things work quick.

There maybe tons of meanings about that, you will never find the
ultimate answer to that, its a more or less senseless disput.

I.e good example using default chroot for postfix in debian ( which
gives newbies a hard time at first configure), so at last the orginal
hacker of code has less to to do what linux distro releases use as
default settings.

And however your are using only small setup you have to understand and
learn the whole "mail" procedures ,to some "minimum stage", cause i.e
you are able to send trillions of spam mails configure an open relay etc
which may hurt lots of other users worldwide.

Open software mostly does not focus on promising you an easy live
with i.e clicking on guis and wizards as most comercial products,
it gives you the chance to learn about how things are working, and
invites you making things better which you may find could be made better.
Share what you have found and do constructive questions etc.
Its not only a tec question, its a way of social knowledge sharing.

Dovecot itself may run in very different "modes", what should
the choosen as prime default easy mode, compare i.e with samba
and modes acting as member server or printer spooler and so on.
Samba parameters are filling books, same in postfix etc, and there is
intensive coding work at all this stuff, solving users real live
problems always end in complex stuff, by needs which you and the orig
coder never thinked of as starting time of the project.

So again, if you find something bad , youre able to make things better
investing time and work on it, dont waste time in "bark at the moon".
.

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--