[Dovecot] Please help to make decision

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Mar 24 20:45:27 EET 2013

On 24.3.2013, at 18.12, Tigran Petrosyan <tpetrosy at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are going to implement the "Dovecot" for 1 million users. We are going
> to use more than 100T storage space. Now we examine 2 solutions NFS or GFS2
> via (Fibre Channel storage).
> Can someone help to make decision? What kind of storage solution we can use
> to achieve good performance and scalability.

I remember people complaining about GFS2 (and other cluster filesystems) having bad performance. But in any case whatever you use, be sure to use also http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Director Even if it's not strictly needed, it improves the performance with GFS2.

Object storages also scale nicely (e.g. Scality). For best performance with them you'd need Dovecot object storage plugin (not open source).