[Dovecot] Outlook 2013 - mounting folders with XLIST

Hajo Locke hajo.locke at gmx.de
Mon Mar 25 15:36:53 EET 2013

Hello,

> if your brave you may try , no idea if that might work

> MFCMAPI

> http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/renamedefaultfolders.htm
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/rename-outlooks-default-folders/

thanks, the MFCMAPI way is working, but i'm afraid that only experienced
users will have success.

i think about of moving all the special_folders stuff to userdb and let
every user decide on its own.
2 reasons.

1: outlook 2013 and may be other clients only work correct if
special_folders on server are autocreated (auto=subscribe). Even when adding
the special_folders later manually, outlook 2013 would not use them for
current account. i had to delete and recreate the account to get it work
again. autocreate and subscription seems to be really needed. This folders
may be annoying for users who dont use a "special_folders client".

2. if microsoft has choosen to not map local folders to serverfolders, i
expect a lot of support effort to explain why folder names are like this.
even if i decide to use german names on server, there will be complains by
other users who wants to have there own preferred foldernames.

moving all this to a userdb lookup is really not in the purpose of rfc 6154,
but seems to be for me the best compromise.

i dont know which way i will go, but already tried the userdb-thing. without
suceess.
I want to know if this will work from pure technical side and deside later
to use or to discard this possibility.

A good way to do this seems to be the userdb_import field:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/ExtraFields

i reduced the special_folders part in conf file to:
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
}

then i added text-field to my MySQL Table mail_users and inserted a text
like this:
namespace/inbox/hallohallo/auto=subscribe<TAB>namespace/inbox/hallohallo/special_use=\Sent

Also i edited the password_query (i use userdb prefetch)

password_query = SELECT `inbox` as `user`, `password`, `home` as
userdb_home, `uid` AS userdb_uid, `gid` AS userdb_gid, userdb_import as
userdb_userdb_import FROM `mail_users` WHERE `login` = '%u' AND `active`='Y'

This results in no error but also no effect. Verbose logging did show a line
like this:

Mar 25 13:16:49 myhostname dovecot: auth: Debug: master out: USER
3613786113      myuser        home=/home/myuser     uid=1004        gid=1000
        namespace/inbox/hallohallo/auto=subscribe^Atnamespace/inbox/hallohallo/special_use=\Sent
Looks not really bad, but is not working.
What did i wrong? I would like to get this work to have a plan B.

Thanks,
Hajo