[Dovecot] Accessing mail files not owned by imap login user

PaulM47 mapp.paul at gmail.com
Thu May 2 01:16:16 EEST 2013

Hi,

I have managed to set up a 'maildir' based mail system using fetchmail and
procmail that delivers sorted mail to folders /var/spool/mail/user1,
../user2 etc. 'user1', 'user2' etc. are real users but the mail system is
run under logged in user 'mailserver'. The mail folders are owned by
'user1', 'user2' etc. but mail files, when delivered, are owned by
'mailserver'. I've been unable to find a way to change this behaviour :-(

Dovecot is configured by adding the single line 'mail_location =
maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u' to 'dovecot.conf', everything else is as
installed. When I make an imap connection as 'user1' the logon is
successful, the mail files are moved from ../new/ to ../cur/ but are
invisible to the imap client. If I 'chown' the mail files to 'user1' they
instantly become visible to the imap client.

I gather from googling info on dovecot I can configure dovecot to allow
'user1', when logged in, to access the mail files owned by 'mailserver'. Is
this simple to do, and if so how do I do it please ?

Thanks
PaulM