[Dovecot] Dovecot has no understandable configuration any more

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu May 2 11:17:16 EEST 2013

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, forum wrote:

> Now i have found the solution.
> It seems to help to ask you. ;)
>
> The solution was to change from
> listen = [::]
> listen = *, [::]
>
> There is no explanation for it - just try and error ...

Hmm, [::] -> in6addr_any (any in IPv6 protocol), therefore you had no
listener (er, Dovecot listener process) on IPv4, but IPv6 only. Maybe
Dovecot v1 handled [::] differently and added *.

> I lost many hours just to find out that i have to define e.g.
> service imap-login {
> Before there was no error, dovecot running and no ports listening.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveconf
has the example:

"
doveconf can be also used to convert v1.x configuration files into v2.x
format.

doveconf -n -c /oldpath/dovecot.conf > /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf.new
"

>>> Has someone an idea how to migrate the emails from charset ISO8859-1 to
>>> UTF-8?
>>
>> The mailbody? recode Latin1..utf8 < in > out, but IMAP defines, that
>> you cannot change messages inplace. The client need to redownload
>> them.
>
> The client should left the message on the server with no local copy.

No, I mean: IMAP defines that messages are immutable, you must not change
a message file on the server. Therefore you cannot recode a message file
on the server and hope that the clients pick up the change. You need to
cause that the MUAs think that the modified message is new. E.g. with
Maildir backend you rename each message file:

1367436834.P516Q0M961879.server:2,Sa
  ->
1367436834.P516Q0M961879.server.a:2,Sa

see change before ":". Then each MUA thinks that it had not seen the
message, because Dovecot assigns a new UID to it.

- --
Steffen Kaiser