[Dovecot] XFS vs EXT4 for mail storage

Thu May 2 14:16:28 EEST 2013

Hello,

I'm in the process of finalizing the spec for my new dovecot VM, and
this is the last question I need to address...

I've read until I'm just about decided on XFS, but I have no experience
with it (been using reiserfs on my old box (@ 8 yrs old now), and never
had a problem (knock on wood), but considering its current situation
(little to no development support for reasons everyone is aware of),
I've decided now is the time to switch. It came down to XFS or EXT4, and
I like what I've read about XFS, but am unsure how to tune it (or even
if I should).

I've decided to use mdbox for storage (been using maildir), and will
enable SIS for attachments.

So, anyone (Stan?) have any suggestions? Should I go with EXT4? Or XFS
with just the defaults? Or XFS with one or more tuned parameters?

Appreciate any suggestions (including links to docs dealing with tuning
XFS for my mail storage conditions that are written more at the layman
level) or comments from anyone experienced using both...

Thanks,

--

Best regards,

Charles