[Dovecot] XFS vs EXT4 for mail storage

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Thu May 2 15:04:00 EEST 2013

Il 02/05/2013 13:16, Charles Marcus ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I'm in the process of finalizing the spec for my new dovecot VM, and
> this is the last question I need to address...
>
> I've read until I'm just about decided on XFS, but I have no experience
> with it (been using reiserfs on my old box (@ 8 yrs old now), and never
> had a problem (knock on wood), but considering its current situation
> (little to no development support for reasons everyone is aware of),
> I've decided now is the time to switch. It came down to XFS or EXT4, and
> I like what I've read about XFS, but am unsure how to tune it (or even
> if I should).
>
> I've decided to use mdbox for storage (been using maildir), and will
> enable SIS for attachments.
>
> So, anyone (Stan?) have any suggestions? Should I go with EXT4? Or XFS
> with just the defaults? Or XFS with one or more tuned parameters?
>
> Appreciate any suggestions (including links to docs dealing with tuning
> XFS for my mail storage conditions that are written more at the layman
> level) or comments from anyone experienced using both...
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

I'm using XFS for mail storage (Maildir type) and it works fine and
better than ext4 (especially if you storage is very large).

My mount options are:

"rw,noatime,attr2,delaylog,nobarrier,inode64,noquota"

and I'm running it on RHEL 6.4

For more information you can read the RHEL documentation:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/xfsmain.html

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/main-fs.html

Ciao
--