[Dovecot] XFS vs EXT4 for mail storage

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Thu May 2 23:18:06 EEST 2013

Zitat von Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com>:

> On 2013-05-02 9:12 AM, lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de <lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de> wrote:
>> IMHO if you say "VM" than the filesystem inside the guest doesn't
>> matter that much.
>
> Well... my understanding is that things can break rather badly if
> you use reiserfs for the host, and then use reiserfs for one of the
> guests...

 From my understanding this was because of the "repair" capabilities
of reiserfs checkdisk which was able to mix up your host and guest fs.
This was also only the case for VM Player and old Server eg. the Linux
add-on Hypervisors.

> So, if doing that can break things badly, I imagine you may not be
> totally correct that it 'doesn't matter'...

For ESXi with its own filesystem (vmfs) it still shouldn't matter that
much. As said the basic task of the Hypervisor is to abstract the
hardware used, so no chance for the guest OS to really optimize for
the hardware used. Maybe its time for a generic Hypervisor guest fs...

Regards

Andreas