[Dovecot] quota and dict

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Fri May 3 08:04:29 EEST 2013

	I have a question about using dict and quotas. I want dovecot to send
quota queries to a custom dict server over a socket. I'm doing this
because I can't do group quotas based on domain since a customer can
have each of their users associated with different domains under a
single account. I need to lookup the account ID and group based on that.
I'm worried putting everything in mysql will cause way too many writes
and lower the performance of our mysql cluster.
	I have having a little trouble connecting all the dots in the config
file. In the userdb example, there is an 'args' parameter that allows a
file to specify a uri. I don't see how to do that for dict. I only see
file, mysql, and postgresql. Shouldn't I be able to use a dictionary
proxy to attach any custom program to a quota dict socket?

	Tell the quota plug to proxy quota which then points to a socket:

plugin {
  quota = dict:User quota::proxy::quota
}
dict {
  quota = proxy:/tmp/test-socket
}

	or should it be:
plugin {
  quota = dict:User quota::proxy:/tmp/test-socket
}

	Neither one create a socket in /tmp.

	It seems like this should be possible, but I don't see an obvious way
to do it.

...Jeff