[Dovecot] XFS vs EXT4 for mail storage

Michael Weissenbacher mw at dermichi.com
Fri May 3 08:14:41 EEST 2013

Hi Marcus!

> Should I go with EXT4? Or XFS with just the defaults? Or XFS with one or more tuned parameters?
> I'm not using quotas, and understand what inode64 does and am fine with
> that, but what I'm still unsure of for a VM environment is the delaylog
> and nobarrier options.

I've been using XFS for many years now and i strongly recommend it for
anything besides /boot. Considering a virtual environment i would
strongly suggest NOT using nobarrier (i.e. use barrier). You can run
into big trouble should the system ever lose power. In fact the only
time i ever managed to damage a XFS filesystem on all those years was
inside a VM and with the nobarrier option on and the UPS died (and yes
the server had a functioning BBS battery attached to the RAID). The
delaylog option can be recommended hands-off, since it speeds up
metadata operations considerably (up to 10 times faster!). And for your
last quesion, stay with the defaults when doing mkfs.xfs, optimizing for
stripe width and stipe size and all those other options really only make
sense on a physical machine.

hth and good luck,
Michael