[Dovecot] XFS vs EXT4 for mail storage

Fri May 3 21:44:22 EEST 2013

On 2013-05-03 10:21 AM, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> wrote:
>> How about the other filesystems I snipped? If you have a large number
>> of filesystems atop the same RAID, some of them being XFS, this could
>> create a head thrashing problem under high load increasing latency
>> and thus response times.
>
> Ouch...
>
> This ESXi host also hosts 2 server 2008R2 vms...

Or did you mean just the other filesystems in this linux VM?

Yes, they are all on the same RAID. The only purpose of the other xfs
volume - snaps- is to hold snapshots of /var for email backup purposes -
so, rsnapshot will initiate an LVM snapshot, take the backup, then
remove the snapshot. /snaps is not used for anything else, and it is the
only other xfs filesystem.

The others are either ext4 (/ and /boot) or ext2 (/tmp, /var/tmp and
/var/log)...

--

Best regards,

Charles