[Dovecot] Idea: POP3 deletion as a flag

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Fri May 3 23:00:47 EEST 2013

Zitat von Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On 3.5.2013, at 20.30, Tom Hendrikx <tom at whyscream.net> wrote:

>>> Hmm, this would lead to every increasing mailboxes for POP3 only users.
>>> What about this
>>>
>>> - Use some setting to express that POP3 deleted mail should be IMAP
>>> mark-as-deleted
>>
>> This conflicts with (many) IMAP user agents that don't use
>> mark-as-deleted but have some version of 'move to trash folder' instead.
>> I do agree that it's probably the Right Way (tm) :)
>
> Depends on what purpose this feature is going to be used for. Many
> POP3 users don't actually want to delete the mails, they just want
> to download them, and their client just happens to delete the mails
> as well. They might still want to use webmail occasionally to find
> any old mails. For that purpose \Deleted flag wouldn't be ideal.
> But, with this setting it would be possible as well:
> pop3_deleted_flag = \Deleted (although that would need a few more
> lines of code).

But for simply leave mail on server with POP3 most MUAs have this
feature anyway today, no? So at least for Thunderbird and Outlook this
couldn't be the only use-case. Most requests i have seen where because
of
- Misguided user using POP3 on different devices with the same account
--> Better use IMAP
- People unable to throw away anything because they are unable to
decide what is important

For the second case you will end up with multi-gigabyte mailboxes on
the server with mails no one need anymore. That's why i would prefer
\Deleted to flag the mail as "not as important anymore" (can be delted
if needed) in spirit of the waste basket on desktops.

>>> - Skip messages marked as deleted with POP3, maybe even as default?
>>>
>>> With this on IMAP access you clearly see what is going on. Also if you
>>> delete Messages by IMAP they won't get downloaded by POP3. This would
>>> also fit with mail providers doing an "IMAP" expunge/purge on a fixed
>>> timebase.
>
> If mail is expunged from IMAP, it also is expunged from POP3 in any case.

Yes, that's the intention after all IMHO. You could set your IMAP
client to expunge on leave or let the mails still around. If the
provider have some policy to say expunge overy month you have no ever
growing mailbox and give the provider a hint what can be deleted. For
archive purpose you still can use IMAP folders.

Regards

Andreas