[Dovecot] Mail deduplication

Tue May 7 13:09:13 EEST 2013

On 2013-05-07 2:22 AM, Angel L. Mateo <amateo at um.es> wrote:
> El 07/05/13 02:19, Tim Groeneveld escribió:
>> I was thinking of splitting all of the mime parts and recombining
>> them later when the message was requested.
>>
>> All of the parts would be hashed and stored separate to the
>> message. This would mean things like image signatures and the
>> like would only be stored once.
>>
>>  From what I understand, SIS does not do this. (that being said,
>> I have not looked too deeply into SIS at the moment, as I am
>> currently working on the elasticsearch FTS plugin)

> I think that SiS DOES exactly this.

That would be incorrect. SIS does *not* split the message up into its
different MIME parts (ie, headers, body, etc).

> All attachments are splited from the original message and stored in a
> common attachments directory. When the message is requested, then
> parts are recombined.

*Attachments*, yes (so, an image signature that was an *attachment*
would be de-duped, but if it was an *embedded* graphic, I'm pretty sure
it would *not* be.

--

Best regards,

Charles