[Dovecot] Permission problem with LDA and dovecot 2.2.1

Tobi tobster at brain-force.ch
Tue May 7 19:07:22 EEST 2013

hi Ben

I tried with removing the base_dir definition from my config, restartet
dovecot and checked with the commands you provided below:
<<
root at nordkap:~# doveconf -d base_dir
base_dir = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot
root at nordkap:~# doveconf base_dir
base_dir = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot
root at nordkap:~# su vmail -s /bin/sh -c "doveconf base_dir"
base_dir = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot

for me it seems that all is build with /usr/local
But after removing the symlink and restarting dovecot I get the errors again
<<
May  7 17:47:57 nordkap dovecot: lda: Error: userdb lookup:
connect(/var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb) failed: No such file or directory
May  7 17:47:57 nordkap dovecot: lda: Fatal: Internal error occurred.
Refer to server log for more information.

I checked all the configs again for any path to /usr/local and found
nothing (which is not commented out) that  would affect basedir
<<
root at nordkap:~# find /usr/local/etc/dovecot/ -type f -exec grep -H
/usr/local/ {} \;
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/README:/usr/local/share/doc/dovecot/example-config/
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:!include_try
/usr/local/share/dovecot/protocols.d/*.protocol
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:#base_dir = /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf:#mail_plugin_dir =
/usr/local/lib/dovecot/modules
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-quota.conf:#  executable = script
/usr/local/bin/quota-warning.sh

So dovecot should use the default path /var/run if I understood you
right. But it does not do so in my case.
Is there any information which I could provide to help narrow down the
problem? On the other side it's not really important as it works like
charm with a symlink ;-)

Cheers

tobi