[Dovecot] dovecot stats

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Wed May 8 11:25:35 EEST 2013

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 29.4.2013, at 15.30, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode at tanso.net> wrote:
>

> > Is it possible to collect info about POP3 and LMTP commands also ?
>
> No. I think they would be pretty boring statistics, since with POP3 pretty
> much everything causing disk I/O or CPU usage would be RETRs and with LMTP
> everything would be DATAs.

I think knowing the timings of writing messages to disk / reading from disk
would be very interesting and relevant data. Especially for us with mostly
POP3 clients, where LMTP DATAs and POP3 RETRs probably is accounting for
major parts of the server load.

> > Also, is "doveadm stats dump command" telling me the results of all
> > commands that has finished the last stats_command_min_time, or will it
> > maybe contain much more than 1 minute of activity ?
>
> It can contain much more. The stats process will keep as much data in
> memory as possible until it reaches the stats_memory_limit. The doveadm
> stats dump lists everything that the stats process knows.

Ok, then I guess we'll need to limit our stats dumps based on last_seen.

  -jf