[Dovecot] change inbox dotlock name

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Fri May 10 10:25:32 EEST 2013

Le 9 mai 2013 à 16:28, Chris Saldanha a écrit :

> Axel Luttgens <AxelLuttgens at swing.be> wrote:
> > But I fear I don't understand your problem description.
> > Could you elaborate?
>
> Hi Axel,
>
> The issue is that the procmail port on FreeBSD doesn't acquire a dotlock when it's the default lock file (/var/mail/username.lock).  It prints that it's bypassing the dotlock and just does a lockf() lock after.

Hello Chris,

I don't know very much about procmail (nor about you setup) but I guess just changing the dotlock file's name would anyway be quite an ugly kludge.

Doesn't procmail provide a more detailed message about that "dotlock bypass" (possibly with increased verbosity)?

On the other, should dotlocking really be problematic on FreeBSD, and assuming only procmail and Dovecot access the mailboxes (mbox format, I guess), perhaps could you configure both of them to use lockf only?

Axel