[Dovecot] Any way to let dovecot block pop3 attempts?

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 10 16:17:28 EEST 2013

On 5/10/2013 8:54 AM, Gilles Chauvin wrote:
> On Friday 10 May 2013 08:17:50 Steve Campbell wrote:
>> Is there a way using dovecot facilities to block an IP from attempting
>> POP3 connections (similar to the sendmail access file for smtp
>> connections)? I usually do this at my border firewall, but if there's a
>> quick and dirty way in dovecot to do this, it'd make life a little simpler.
>>
> Hi Steve,
>
> We've been using Fail2Ban on our mail proxies for a while without any
> problem.
>
> It may be what you're looking for.
>

> Regards,
> Gilles.
Thanks,

But I believe fail2ban uses iptables, and I don't run a local firewall
on the server. I'd prefer not to use a separate server to inject
firewall rules on the border firewall. I might be wrong about fail2ban,
though.

I was hoping there was a file for pop and imap in dovecot similar to the
smtp "access" file in sendmail (which is what I use, BTW)

steve