[Dovecot] Any way to let dovecot block pop3 attempts?

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri May 10 18:47:21 EEST 2013

On 5/10/2013 10:53 AM, Michael Wessel wrote:
> Did you have a look at this?
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/RestrictAccess
>
> On 5/10/2013 5:17 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>> Is there a way using dovecot facilities to block an IP from
>> attempting POP3 connections (similar to the sendmail access file for
>> smtp connections)? I usually do this at my border firewall, but if
>> there's a quick and dirty way in dovecot to do this, it'd make life a
>> little simpler.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> steve campbell

The reason I'm asking about all of this is that a particular IP address
is attempting to connect to our pop server, and it's trying every
possible common user name (I think this is call a dictionary attack).

I can't restrict access to a particular IP subnet because our users
access their email from all over the place. So this suggestion seems to
not be a solution, as I see it.

Thanks though.

If I have to, I'll just go put this IP on the firewall, but I don't have
remote access (for security), so it's a little more effort than
accessing the pop server.

steve