[Dovecot] Idea: POP3 deletion as a flag

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat May 11 19:47:55 EEST 2013

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Kelsey already mentioned that lazy_expunge plugin has similar issues, and
> nobody has mentioned privacy concerns related to that.. I guess there should
> be something about it in the wiki. Also mdbox format doesn't physically
> delete the data until doveadm purge is run (if ever). So this isn't the first
> such feature.

Some of our users are using pop3 collectors to fetch (and delete) the mails,
while other users are using mobile phones and might want to use this feature.

If the pop3_delete_flag option is globally enabled, will the pop3 user
be able to delete any pop3 mails and not be billed for the storage?
Our POP3 customers really don't want to pay for emails which they
don't see and don't want to keep on the server, but the pop3 collector
will not connect via IMAP to the server to finally expunge the mails.

So this rises a quota/storage accounting question for pop3-only users.

Regards
Daniel
--
https://plus.google.com/103021802792276734820