[Dovecot] Fatal: Can't finish POP3 UIDL command

stevenfah steven at fah-designs.co.uk
Wed May 15 18:03:28 EEST 2013

I have been setting up a new mail server and copied our client's old mail to
it. The old server has Courier (under Plesk), we're using Dovecot on the new
server.

Most accounts seem to work fine (under IMAP or POP3), but for a few we're
getting the following in the /var/log/mail.err.

Error: Message ordering changed unexpectedly (msg #1: storage seq 140 -> 1)
Fatal: Can't finish POP3 UIDL command

And the affected accounts can't get at their email. Things work ok if people
switch to IMAP but for some of our clients that is a difficulty, so we
really need POP3 working.

I used the Perl script given here to convert the mailboxes.

The only fix we've found is the rename/delete the Dovecot-uidlist file for
the affected mailboxes and we've done that, as it was only a few. The issue
now is that more mailboxes are coming with the same error, even though they
were fine originally.