[Dovecot] question about /var/spool/mail/xxx

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri May 17 02:49:27 EEST 2013

Richard Feng at eBay writes:

> this is Redhat 6.3
> I installed sendmail and dovecot.
> but sendmail can continue send mail as MTA
> all mails go to /var/spool/mail

OK.

> this is problem for dovecot. dovecot cannot get it goto dovecot inbox.
>
> if setup mailbox poing to /var/spool/mail/%u, it is workable

I'm guessing that you're sending new mail to mbox formatted files
in /var/spool/mail/%u (using dovecot LDA?).

> but if set up maildir to somewhere else ,I cannot receive mail by dovecot.

You lost me.  How did you "set up maildir to somewhere else"?

You ought to supply configurations (output of dovecot -n), and log entries
of the problem.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>