[Dovecot] Configure dovecot to provide SASL authentication

Peter Skensved peter at jay.Phy.QueensU.CA
Sun May 19 18:51:12 EEST 2013

   Hi,
  I'm trying to get dovecot to provide SASL authentication for
postfix My setup appears to be working but I'm not 100% certain
I've got it right. I've come across several examples for dovecot
version 1 but I'm running 2.0.9.  The output of doveconf -n is here :

 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
auth_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

 Specifically : are the "service auth", userdb and passdb
sections correct ? And the mode ? Or is it too permissive ?

  For completeness the postfix setup is here :

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth