[Dovecot] Error: dict client sent broken reply

Chris Richards gizmo at giz-works.com
Mon May 20 00:33:52 EEST 2013

I've been mucking about, experimenting with the expire plugin and using a
dictionary.  I've got the iteration query working when I do a normal
expunge using:

doveadm expunge -A mailbox "INBOX.Trash" savedbefore 1w

and expunging works as expected.  However, I've got over 12,000 accounts
on this server, so I was hoping using the expire plugin to could help out.
 I've configured the plugin, and things kinda work, except that somewhere
between 3700 and 3800 users, I abort with this:

doveadm(someuseraccount at somedomain): Error: dict client
(/var/run/dovecot/dict) sent broken reply
doveadm(someuseraccount at somedomain): Error: Dictionary iteration failed
doveadm: Error: Failed to iterate through some users

It consistently fails at the same user.  If I delete that user from the
expire database, then it appears to fail on the next user.

I also see this in the logs:

dovecot: dict: Error: dict client: COMMIT: Can't commit while iterating

I've absolutely no idea where to go from here to troubleshoot this.  Any
guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

doveconf -n:

# 2.1.12: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.7.5-hardened-r1 x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 2.1 ext4
auth_master_user_separator = *
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_username_chars =
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@&
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
default_process_limit = 200
dict {
  quota = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
}
disable_plaintext_auth = no
login_greeting = Awaiting command...
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_plugins = " quota"
mail_privileged_group = 100
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix = INBOX.
  separator = .
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
plugin {
  expire = Trash 7
  expire2 = Trash/* 7
  expire3 = Spam 7
  quota = dict:User quota:%u:proxy::quota
  quota_rule = *:storage=200M
  quota_warning = storage=99%% quota-warning 99 %n %d
  quota_warning2 = storage=95%% quota-warning 95 %n %d
  quota_warning3 = storage=80%% quota-warning 80 %n %d
  quota_warning4 = -storage=95%% quota-warning 'less than 95' %n %d
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_default = /home/vmail/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
  sieve_global_dir = /home/vmail/dovecot/sieve
}
protocols = imap pop3 sieve lmtp
service auth-worker {
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0666
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = dovecot
    mode = 0666
    user = dovecot
  }
  user = $default_internal_user
}
service dict {
  unix_listener dict {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
}
service lmtp {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
}
service quota-warning {
  executable = script /etc/dovecot/quota-warning.sh
  unix_listener quota-warning {
    user = vmail
  }
  user = dovecot
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/dovecot/server.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/dovecot/server.key
userdb {
  driver = prefetch
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = sieve quota
  postmaster_address = postmaster at domain
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " quota sieve quota"
}
protocol imap {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 20
  mail_plugins = " quota quota imap_quota"
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_plugins = " quota quota"
}

>From dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext:

connect = host=localhost dbname=maildb user=dbuser password=dbpass

# CREATE TABLE quota (
#   username varchar(100) not null,
#   bytes bigint not null default 0,
#   messages integer not null default 0,
#   primary key (username)
# );

map {
  pattern = priv/quota/storage
  table = quota_usage
  username_field = address
  value_field = quota_bytes
}
map {
  pattern = priv/quota/messages
  table = quota_usage
  username_field = address
  value_field = quota_messages
}

# CREATE TABLE expires (
#   username varchar(100) not null,
#   mailbox varchar(255) not null,
#   expire_stamp integer not null,
#   primary key (username, mailbox)
# );

map {
  pattern = shared/expire/$user/$mailbox
  table = expires
  value_field = expire_stamp

  fields {
    address = $user
    folder = $mailbox
  }
}

dovecot-sql.conf.ext

driver = mysql
connect = host=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock dbname=maildb user=dbuser

password=dbpass
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN

user_query = SELECT homedir AS home, maildir AS mail, uid AS uid, gid AS
gid, quota_rule AS quota_rule FROM email WHERE address = CONVERT('%u'
USING latin1) AND is_alias=0;

password_query = SELECT address AS user, NULL as password, homedir AS
userdb_home, maildir as userdb_mail, uid AS userdb_uid, gid AS userdb_gid,
quota_rule AS userdb_quota_rule, 'Y' AS nopassword FROM email WHERE
address = CASE WHEN ('%d' = '') THEN CONCAT (CONVERT('%n' USING latin1),
'@bordernet.com.au') ELSE CONVERT('%u' USING latin1) END AND is_alias=0
AND CheckPasswordFunc(CONVERT('%n' USING latin1), '%d', CONVERT('%w' USING
latin1), '%r');

iterate_query = SELECT address AS user FROM email WHERE is_alias=0 AND
length(password) > 1