[Dovecot] Empty file in maildirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 20 11:54:54 EEST 2013

On 20.5.2013, at 11.29, Roel Wagenaar <roel at wagenaar.nu> wrote:

> I am cleaning up some old users, and found that in every maildir folder there is
> an empty file called maildirfolder, created at the time the original dovecot was
> installed.
>
> Is this empty file necessary for dovecot, or is it left there in an upgrade
> proces and can it be removed?

It's defined by Maildir++ specs. They're used by maildrop and maybe some other Maildir++ tools that need to update the maildirsize quota file. Dovecot itself doesn't care about if they exist or not, but it does create them whenever you create a new folder, so you can't really get rid of them completely.