[Dovecot] Linking mdbox directories

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 20 17:45:46 EEST 2013

Yeah, that would work. Dovecot doesn't use absolute paths anywhere
internally, except for dbox-alt-root symlink. If the alt root path
changes, it logs a warning once, but other than that nothing breaks.

Alternatively you could do this using dsync still with zero downtime.
Basically treat it the same as user migration or mailbox format change,
and afterwards delete the old user's mails (e.g. doveadm expunge -u
user at domain mailbox '*' all) before rm -rfing the home dirs.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Dsync#example_converting