[Dovecot] should dovecot store maildir files with CRLF or LF?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Wed May 22 23:22:06 EEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 20:06 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> mail_save_crlf setting controls if mails are saved as CRLF or LF to storage.
I see... hmm that seems to be missing from the documentation?! Can it be
added? What values can it have?

What exactly happens there? Any LF or CRLF converted to the value set?
or does it also handle single CRs (and therefore also LFCRs)?

Are there other such options which control what of a mail / how they are
stored into maildirs? I mean regarding the content of the mails?
I'm aware of the one that controls how subfolders are made in maildirs
(LAYOUT=fs)... but anything else?

> Sounds like the client was saving mails using CRCRLF, and Dovecot
> changed that to CRLF. Perhaps Dovecot should have changed the other CR
> to some other character..
Perhaps you should add handling single CRs (to CRLF or LF depending on
mail_save_crlf) as well.

>  You could verify by looking at the IMAP traffic, e.g.
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog
I'll try to debug that further.

Thx,
Chris.